Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Editing services & self-publishing companies


So after three weeks and countless clicks of my mouse I have finished researching six different editing & self publishing companies. This is just one option I have for finally publishing my first YA fiction novel Vineyard House. The funny thing is after all the time spent on the phone talking to these companies or reading their web site thouroughly I find myself more confused than before.

 Each company offer single and packged services but non really explained what you were getting. They promise the more you buy the cheaper it will be. They promise control over your novel & the creative design yet they limit what you can do by the amount you are able or willing to pay. What exactly is comprehensive editing to them? Each company I ask gave me a different defintion.  And do I really need a youtube video for my novel in order for it to sale? I'm sure you're telling yourself "why not have a youtube video?" Well I will tell you why. The amount of money they spend on the video is only pennies on the dollar you give them for making it.

Buying each option definetly increases the cost but some of the packages aren't that better either. None of the companies except for Firstediting.com offered any samples of their work. And Firstediting.com is the cheapest editing service I have found to date. They also responded the quickest. In less than three hours I had two emails waiting for me and the next morning a voicemail on my phone from them. But does the cheaper price & fast response make them the better company?

There are so many companies online for self publishing books who all claim to have the best & most successful patrons that it can be a daunting task researching all of them. The options can be quite confusing and expensive so I have decided to now dedicate my blog to researching these companies using my novel for answers. So get ready because starting tomorrow we are shifting from me doing dishes to me finding the truth out about the good, bad and the ugly truth about self-publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment